Each morning we all get up and get dressed for the day. Well, there are some days it doesn’t happen until noon if we are a busy mom, but for the most part, we all get up and put a little thought into what we are going to wear for the day.
If it’s cold, we dress warm. If it’s hot, we dress cooler. Even for weddings, funerals, church…..we take time to pick out the “right” outfit to look appropriate.
Here is something to think about? Are we getting “Spiritually Dressed“? You may be wondering what is “Spiritually Dressed“?
In Colossians 3: 12-15 we are given guidance by Apostle Paul about “Spiritually Dressing”. It says, “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
If we took the time to go through each of these. Pretend you are getting dressed with putting these characteristics on each day.
Let’s go through them briefly and ask yourself if your putting these on every day in the morning?
- Mercy- Are we showing mercy towards others? Towards our family? Towards others we have contact with?
- Kindness- This one sounds easy but are we showing kindness to our own family? To our kids? It’s so easy sometimes being kind to others when they are kind to you, but what about the unkind people? Your enemies?
- Humbleness- Do we display a humbleness about ourself? Do we have pockets of pride that need to be purged?
- Meekness- How’s our attitude? Is it quiet and meek? Are we abrupt and callause with others?
- Longsuffering- Do we extend patience with our kids, our family, with someone who has wronged us?
- Forbearing one another- Are we putting aside our agenda of revenge on someone? Trying to “get back” at a family member or friend? Let God fight your battles.
- Forgiving spirit- Are we someone who easily forgives? Do we take awhile to let someone off the hook? Remember forgiveness frees US, not the other person.
- Charity (love)- Do others see love coming from your life? Do you show love to your family, as well as someone we don’t particularly like?
Now I am normal just like everyone else. There are days when we forget to get dressed spiritually. We forget the kindness, we forget the love, we forget to be humble….it happens to all of us! I have many of days where I just neglect these things and my family are the ones who get the brunt of it. Ugly, I know but it’s the truth.
We need to be mindful each and every morning.
Each morning, we need to make a mental note as we get dressed and remind ourselves to “Spiritually” get dressed. Let’s put on each of these qualities and characteristics. Our children need to see it,….. our husbands need to see it,….. the people we come into contact need to see it!
Remember it’s not always easy getting “spiritually” dressed when we do it in our strength and our power. We need to tap into God’s power and put on the mind of Christ. That take lots of prayer, lots of digging into His Word, and a daily conscience effort to become more like Christ.
What are you getting dressed into? Do you remember to put your “spiritual” clothes on?