This past weekend, we buried my last grandparent. It was very bittersweet but knowing that I will see him one day again & to know that he is in a much better place than here on earth bring much peace and hope.
This event in my life gave me a lot to reflect on. Knowing my grandfather was a man that followed God and had a heart for his family, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and for them to know God and to have a heart to love & serve him was his biggest prayer. The time he invested in praying for each of us, I’m sure we’ll never know the tip of how many prayers were said on our behalf, but it’s awesome to see how one person who is committed to the Lord, can change the course of generations to come.
Not that I haven’t thought these thoughts before or even prayed to God about my example to my kids and others, but What Legacy am I leaving?
I really believe in the here and now it’s hard see the impact we are making. A lot of seeds that we are planting and prayers that are going out before our children or grandchildren we might not see the harvest for years to come.Deuteronomy 6:6-9 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
Now remember there are NO perfect parents! None! We all fail, we all have faults, but our main goal and priority should be to leave a Godly legacy for our children, grandchildren, which will effect generations to come!
How can we leave a Godly legacy?
Here are a few helpful tips to leaving a Godly legacy for your family?
- Live out the gospel. We must show them through our lives, the gospel of Jesus Christ. We must show them how God loved, sacrificed, and gave it all. We must teach them the way to have a personal relationship with God. That is our responsibility as parents!
- Prayer. Wow, this is a HUGE one. Never under estimate the power of prayer! We need it, they need it. If you aren’t praying for your children and grandchildren, who is? “Praying Circles Around your Children“ is a awesome book for any parent or grandparent. (affliate link enclosed)
- Teach them diligently. Teaching is part of being a parent. We must be diligent about teaching them the Word of God. Helping them to memorize scripture, helping them to develop a quiet time with God, teaching them to pray on their own, etc.
- Take them to church. This is not the only ingredient to leaving a Godly legacy, but it’s important to be consistent with regular church attendance. We must show them the importance of being apart of a local church and being involved with Sunday School, learning about God, & being apart of worshiping the Lord together with other believers.
- Be consistent. With anything with children is consistency! It’s a must. We must do our best to be as faithful and consistent with teaching, training, praying, etc. Our kids will follow in our same patterns!
- Incorporate Family devotions. If your not doing it now with your family, then start today. It’s never too late to set aside a few minutes to 30 minutes sitting around the Word of God and prayer together as a family. Here’s a link to an article I wrote about family devotions HERE.
* Here’s a side note.….whether your raising your children now or you already raised them and have grandchildren you can still leave a legacy for generations to come. Grandparents can have a tremendous impact on their grandchildren & older children through prayer and through living a Godly life.
Remember, we all at times fall into inconsistencies and bumps along the journey. Let’s be reminded to be faithful and ask for God’s wisdom and guidance each day. We need it! We can not raise our children or grandchildren for the Lord in our own strength. God must be our source of power! We have an enemy that does NOT want us to invest, train, & equip the next generations! Keep that in mind. It’s a daily battle to do what is good and right. Rely on God and His wisdom and guidance. And keep on…..PRAYING! PRAYING! PRAYING!!!
Think about this……we are leaving a legacy of some sort…….is yours a Godly one?