I know you have heard the phrase…..”Time Flies” well there is much truth to it! This month I am celebrating 20 years of being a mom! Whoa! How can that be?! Truly in a blink of an eye it just happened.
As I reflect back 20 years ago and remember the excitement that lead up to the birth of our 1st child, I remember how scared and how excited I was at the same time. Knowing I was about to give birth and all of that unknown was enough to make me run away and hide! It’s amazing your life that very moment changes forever! When the Dr. placed this 7lb 9 oz. daughter on my chest, my life instantly changed and would never be like it was before.
Speeding it up 20 years later and 7 more children, I can say I’ve learned a lot over these 20 years! It’s been a journey of many failures, regrets, disappointments, exhaustion, heartache, pain, guilt, sleeplessness nights, and tears but there has also been many fun times, laughter, joy, proud moments, accomplishments, a sense of fulfillment, love, excitement, and sheer enjoyment!
Here’s a few things I’ve learned in 20 years of being a mom!
- It’s a sacrifice. With something as important as raising another generation it takes pure sacrifice! Nothing more, nothing less. Being a mom I’ve learned what it means to sacrifice. In small ways and bigger ways making an investment takes some giving up of things. Learning it’s not all about me, but about a job I’ve been called to do.
- It’s rewarding. Rewards do come in many different ways. To see your children grow, learn, mature, and you see fruits of your labor is rewarding. It’s so worth it!
- Making mistakes is normal. Yes mistakes come a lot. Over the years It’s been a learning experience for me as well. Trial and error and growing with your children is all part of the journey.
- I don’t have it all together. I honestly figured out quickly, I’m not one of these moms that “have it all together”. Truthfully….there isn’t such a thing! No mom, no where has it all together. Some days you just have to survive. Ha!
- It’s fun. Being a mom has many fun moments. What has kept me sane is being able to laugh and even laugh at myself. Life is way to boring to be so serious and seeing the fun in parenting isn’t too hard around here.
- It’s challenging. Anyone that is a parent can attest to the challenges that comes it’s way. Challenges of all sorts from potty training to attitudes, I’ve experienced them all. Thankfully this experience helps out when I still have a 2 year old in the house!
- It’s a 24 hour a day job. Yup! No time off. Your mom position is really always on. Even if your on a date with your husband or away for a night alone, your mom brain is always on and always thinking or praying for your kids. The job is endless.
- You gotta say sorry sometimes. Well let’s just say I’ve said sorry more times than I can remember! The job of being mom comes with a lot of humbling moments of realizing I was wrong and I just needed to say it and make amends.
- Hard work does pay off. Honestly when your kids are little you think it’s all in vain. The hundred times you’ve reminded them, showed them, taught them manners and truly believed it wasn’t working, let me tell you….your hard work of instilling “good” into your children does pay off! I am now seeing much fruit after these 20 years!
- I pray…..I pray a lot! Praying I found is a MUST for me as a mom. I truly need the Lord and I 100% believe in the power of prayer! It changes my heart, it works in the life of my children and it’s truly essential to my daily life! You can say, I’ve learned to become a prayer warrior!
So as I celebrate, enjoy and reflect over these 20 years of being a mom, let me encourage you……It’s hard but it’s so worth the rewards! Learn to be the mom that God created YOU to be. Enjoy the journey and find joy each in every day in the little moments! They are only little once…..enjoy all that comes with each stage of their growth….the good, the bad, and the not so easy times!
I’m so thankful I’ve been chosen to be a mom, it’s the best gift I could of been given. Children are truly a gift and this journey has been a life changing one for me. I’ve learned, grown, cried, laughed, matured, and had the time of my life! And with that…..l’m going to celebrate and eat cake!!
What have you learned since being a mom? Let me hear…..